Over the years, I have met some very talented designers who have become friends. With Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, and Instagram you can’t help but talk to other designers and share ideas. One designer in particular has become a good friend and I asked her to write a blog about “What’s It Like To Be A Graphic Designer In India”
Written by Dipanjana Paul in her own words.
How it is to become a graphic designer in India
As the composition of marketing strategies is evolving day by day, demand of skilled graphic designers is growing gradually. Though, the visual communication marketing platforms accumulate a huge amount of investments from the first world countries but still the developing countries like, India top the list to supply the skilled resources.
India itself also offers a large extent of job opportunities to the graphic designers in its own land. However, becoming a graphic designer in India is considered as an achievement. Becoming an efficient graphic designer in India is quite tough.
Client’s behavioral approach in India
In India companies demand from a designer, the complete package: skilled with graphics, photography, drawing, textures, patterns, colors, imagery etc and in certain circumstances animation.
As a graphic designer you must also have a good verbal communication skills to convince a client or to understand what a client actually needs. Otherwise, all your efforts will go in a waste-bin as the client might reject your final execution without paying a single penny.
Clients always expect the designer to be a good listener a skilled analyzer to be able to bring out the specific message from a brief. Here comes the real work. A designer needs to collect data from multiple resources and set several solutions to address the issue. Even after creating a convincing graphic design that can be a perfect visual communication, there are chances that the client will find a flaw.
The amazing thing is that most of the clients here in India come with several funny alternatives and it is worth saying that all those alternatives have nothing to do with your graphic designing skills.
What clients expect from a designer
A quality design is determined not only by how stunning the design appears but also how strongly the design conveys the message to the target audience. Like the western countries, companies in India look for the same specializations from the designers, with some additional qualities.
Qualities that a graphic designer must have for becoming successful in India-
- The challenge to a designer’s creativity is to explore his creative mind in order to achieve an unbeatable design execution, which can not only convey the possible solution perfectly but also convince the client’s expectation.
- Indian people are very much sensitive to aesthetic values; therefore, the designer must have a strong sense of aesthetics to select right visual elements for the design.
- Designer must have the knowledge on the cultural practices of the target audience.
- One must keep in mind the diversity in culture, community, practices, languages, beliefs to execute a strong visual communication. The visual communication should not hurt any community at any point
- The designer must have a different eye to see an object differently as well as have a passion for arts.
- Along with having strong knowledge on the digital media side the designer must have powerful marketing skills.
- A graphic designer must be skilled in – a) diagramming, b) lay outing, c) drawing, d) lettering and e) typography
- A client always looks to the designer for having an eye for details and excellence in various graphic designing applications.
Career scope of a graphic designer in India
There are so many industries apart from advertisements, web designing and print media, where a graphic designer can experience a vertical growth of his career. Even after having minimum 4-5 years of experience the pay-scale of a graphic designer does not cross the amount of $6000.00 -$8000.00. If you do not have a highly creative mind your career may come to a standstill after 5-6 years. Though the immense growth of the media industry opens opportunities for employment the level of security as well as job satisfaction is still very low in India.
Career growth of a graphic designer in India largely depends on the organization he is working for currently. Therefore, a graphic designer must enrich himself with proficient skills and excellence during the 4-5 working years to open his own organization in future. Graphic Designers initiate freelancing jobs at a very low price just for the experiences and studying in a renowned university helps to get the first employment and staying afloat in the competition is a matter of proficiency.
While many of the demands for a Graphic Designer are similiar across many countries, the concept of using freelancers in India for high end work is low. But we keep trying! 🙂